Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pine Barons Barbershop Chorus Circa 1970


My dad, Chuck Cone, is first person on the right in the front row in the lower photo
and the person on the right in the upper photo.

About this time each year, my John F. Kennedy High School (Willingboro, New Jersey) classmates and I hear from our former math teacher John Celani about the upcoming events scheduled by the Cherry Hill Pine Baron Chorus. I always wish then that I were in South Jersey, not Texas and could attend the upcoming event.

My siblings and I grew up with barbershop harmony echoing throughout our home each Thursday evening when our father, Charles Newton "Chuck" Cone, Jr. hosted his barbershop quartet practice.
Dad sang bass and I'm afraid I don't remember the other quartet members names, but perhaps Nils Johnson is one. Their dulcet harmonies always brought a smile to my face even while puzzling over Mr. Celani's Senor Math homework.

Found these photos of the Pine Baron Chorus and Dad's quartet while visiting my sister Leslie in Colorado.

I did not realize that the Pine Baron Chorus, of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, has been performing together since 1949. For those of you lucky enough to be living in the Delaware Valley, you can find their schedule on their website http://www.harmonize.com/pinebarons/.


No comments:

Post a Comment