Tuesday, December 25, 2012

They Want To Be Found

"They want to be found." This is an axiom that genealogists repeat over and over as they relate the stories of the most unlikely places and occasions that have led to ancestral finds. This is one of those stories.

In thinking back over my recent post about Christmas during the depression and my Grandmother's steamed pudding, I continued to puzzle over why I did not have the recipe for her Hard Sauce or Lemon Sauce. Yesterday, I decided to take one more look at her two recipe boxes that I had carefully preserved. I quick search proved unsuccessful and then upon being summoned back to the kitchen, I knocked over the bigger box and noticed that there were a couple of recipe cards stuck in the lid blank side showing. I pulled the card out and "Eureka!" The card had two recipes, "Hard Sauce" and "Cottage Lemon Sauce". They are as follows:

Hard Sauce
1/3 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 t lemon juice or 2/3 t vanilla
Melt butter and stir in other ingredients.

Cottage Pudding Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 T cornstarch
1 t vanilla or 1 T lemon juice
1/3 c butter

Mix together sugar and cornstarch add watter. Bring to a boil add flavoring.

Serve either sauce over steamed pudding.

See, they want to be found! We'll be trying one or the other with our steamed pudding.
Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment