Saturday, February 2, 2013

Surname Saturday ADAM

Dear Grandparents,

Last week when I introduced Surname Saturday, I started at the beginning of the alphabet with an English 6th great grandfather. Today I'm staying in the same generation but switching to the German side of my family.  Johannes Nicholas Adam and his wife Maria Juliana Schweickhardt immigrated from Wurternberg, Germany in 1727 with son Jonas Paul.  Some researchers report that they came on the Ship William & Sarah from Rotterdam via Dover, England landing in Philadelphia on the 18th of September.  I need to do some additional research to verify that fact. They settled in Cocalica, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and may well have been among the many Amish and Mennonite families that settled and even remain in the area to this day.

For family members the descendant is as follows: Johannes Nicholas ADAM and wife Julianna Schweickhardt had daughter Christina Adam who married George Puterbaugh; their son Jacob Puderbaugh married Susannah Ulrich, their son Jacob Puderbaugh married Magdalene Schlechty; their daughter Elizabeth married George Washington Werst, their son Lewis married Mary Jane Barnes, their
son Cecil married Grace Colby and their daughter Betty Lorraine Werst is my mother.

One of the interesting facts about this family is that they are from the Cannstatt area in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany very close to the area near Stuttgart where my family lived from 1992-1994. Sure wish I had known about them at that time, it would have been great to do the research there.

There is much more research to do on this family, and I hope to getting working on it again soon.

Love,
Cecily

2 comments:

  1. Jacob Puderbaugh Sr. is my great x5 grandfather. Do you have any additional information on this family tree? Thanks a lot! Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob Puderbaugh Sr. is my great x5 grandfather. Do you have any additional information on that family tree? Thanks a lot! Greg

    ReplyDelete