Saturday, March 23, 2013

Surname Saturday - GIBSON

Dear Grandfather Gibson,

Yesterday was a great day. For the first time in years I found some new information about you.

While researching at the Family History Library in Salt Lake, I found information in the US Army Indian Campaign Service Records listing Newsom Gibson's service as a Private in Hill's Company
1st Tennessee Infantry. I also discovered that your wife, Elizabeth Jane (Jones) Gibson had filed for a widow's pension in 1892.

Most of the information I had on you before came from the Hugunin Family Bible that was passed from your daughter Sarah Amanda Gibson Hugunin to her daughter Mary Elizabeth Hugunin Colby to her daughter Ada Grace Colby Werst to her daughter and my mother Betty Werst Cone. The inscriptions in the family Bible give your birth date as 13 April 1817 in Tennessee and your death date as 30 Jul 1875 in Nashville.

I know you and Elizabeth were married 29 Dec 1840. I have found you and your family's listings in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 census in the Edgefield Junction area that today is part of Nashville proper. I imagine you were an admirer of Henry Clay as you named your first son for him.

What I have been unable to determine is the name of your parents. There are several Gibson families in Davidson and surrounding counties that could be your parents. I often wonder if Newsom was the maiden name of your mother or grandmother. I really could  use a little help here, Grandfather!  I am hoping when there will beclues in your service record or the pension application.

Did you know from where your Gibsons immigrated to the United States? According to Wikipedia, Gibson is a Scottish and English surname that is a patronymic for Gib a short form of Gilbert. There are several Gibson's who received donation land grants in middle Tennessee following their service in the Revolutionary War. Could one of these men be your grandfather? I know, I know, sooooooo
many questions.

Love,
Cecily

No comments:

Post a Comment